What Happens if I Fail to Register as a Sex Offender?

What Happens if I Fail to Register as a Sex Offender?

According to the Sex Offender Registration and Notification Act (SORNA), all convicted sex offenders are required to register with local law enforcement in the city or community in which they are currently residing, or intend to reside. Law enforcement officers at both the state and local level are to maintain a sex offender registration database to help track sex offenders, monitor their activities, keep the public informed of any sex offenders who have moved in their neighborhood, and provide the general public with a means of maintaining a certain level of safety and security.

Title 18, Section 2250 of the U.S. Code clearly states that any sex offender who fails to properly register or remain in compliance with SORNA requirements could face felony prosecution. Penalties for failing to register as a sex offender include extensive fines as well as up to 10 years in federal prison in some cases. If a sex offender commits a violent federal crime after failing to register or maintain his or her sex offender registration he or she could be sentenced to 30 years in prison.

If you have been convicted as a sex offender, it is vital that you complete your sex offender registration requirements within the time frame required. Even if you disagree with your conviction, or you feel that you should not be required to register, it is important that you adhere to these requirements so as to prevent facing criminal charges and penalties. As a Fort Worth criminal lawyer, I have years of experience defending Texas clients against the state or federal criminal charges they face.

I know the stigma associated with being labeled as a sex offender, and I understand how difficult it can be to transition to life as a convicted sex offender. When you contact The Law Office of Samuel R. Terry, P.C., I will take the time to review your case, answer any questions you may have, and advise you on the actions you are required to complete to maintain your freedom. I can also help appeal your conviction or prepare an aggressive defense on your behalf.